Wednesday, July 14, 2010

How do I talk to thee? Let me count the ways.....

I have been too busy communicating with my husband to blog I guess.  Seems like a lifetime since he left and it has only been two weeks.  But many things have happened in those two weeks and even though we've been able to communicate daily right now I still haven't managed to keep him updated on all of the things happening with our family and friends.

Eric left on the bus and we waited a few hours and started texting.  We decided he would take his phone with him for this first month to ease communication.  I am very thankful because we've been able to text daily.  I will miss that very much.  He also had his laptop but had no internet connection for the first few days and even then it is not the best connection.  We did finally manage to skype for a few minutes before the connection was lost.  And while we were trying to get the connection going again we had texted a few things and then he called to say it wasn't working or something.  So we hung up and texted some more.  It is very difficult to text a whole conversation.  But his evenings run late and lights go out so that's all we've had most of the time.  After the failed skype session and more texting I stated in desperation that I would just send him an email.  And then I received a text back...CTM and TIME.  Well, if you've read my previous blogs you will know that CTM means chuckling to myself and the new one TIME means tears in my eyes.  He was chuckling so much about our communications that he had tears in his eyes.  And then he said, "Do you realize we have texted, skyped, talked on the phone, and now emailed?"  There was no CTM for me...I bursted into laughter and LOL'd for quite awhile. 

I am thankful and know that communication will soon change.  His phone will arrive home for safe keeping until he returns.  And depending on connections and time, it sounds like we will be down to every other day for a call or email. I am still thankful and will look forward to emails and maybe even a few hand-written letters. 

In my two weeks I have updated my auto insurance information, called a tree guy to have a large broken branch removed from our oak, changed the furnace filter, priced and compared belt sanders, researched porch paint, had the oil changed in my car, bought a stake for our little redbud tree, bought lube and lubed our bike chains, and even (don't pass out honey) got my hands muddy in the garden.  I'm capable.  I'll manage.  But there have been moments when I've had to text him TIME because that's just the way I feel even though I'm okay.

Prayer Requests:
1) Safety
2) RAGBRAI is coming up and Ayden and I will be riding every day with Brady and Jayme as our crew.  Please pray for good weather and no scary storms this year.
3) Brady's sending ceremony is quickly approaching  and we'll be faced with saying goodbye once again

Thanks and Love,
Monica

Exodus 15:2 The Lord is my strength and my song, he has become my salvation. He is my God, and I will praise him, my father's God, and I will exalt him.

2 comments:

  1. I know it's not nearly the same...but I remember when Mark was working out of state for a week at a time and the realization that I *could* do the things that needed done without him. Liberating and sad at the same time.
    You all are in my prayers, every day. (And Mark is really enjoying the pictures that the Dirt Warriors have been posting! :D )
    Much love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TIME...

    I just finished reading the book of Samuel and am in Love with David's song. Read Samuel 22 1:4 (or all of it if you want)

    ReplyDelete