Monday, July 5, 2010

Skipping

As we drove away from the sending ceremony, I found myself thinking about how much better I did than I thought I would.  I had such a constant, crippling feeling thinking about that last goodbye.  And I found myself just being okay.  I had asked my doctor for anxiety meds just in case.  But I was bound and determined to not use them and just feel every moment.  On the way to the ceremony, it was just Eric and I in our car.  We prayed almost the entire way and I found myself in a wonderful place of peace. 

I don't often get the chance to see Eric march and behave as a soldier.  I see him in his uniform almost daily since he is full-time.  But as the soldiers marched in,  there was a magical sense of pride that happened...good, acceptable pride.  And I always feel such a sense of protection around all of them in uniform. I love seeing him be a soldier.  And I am so thankful for all of the other soldiers he is serving with, including my oldest son.  I can say that now with more acceptance than I could when we were younger. 

And then it was over.  Hugs were over and goodbyes were done.  I was afraid I was going to have to medicate all the rest of my family with my pills!  But we were soon on our way home and all okay. I was fine all evening at home.  Eric was able to text me later into the afternoon and while he was unpacking and settling into his bunk.  And we said goodnight.  I am so thankful for texting right now. 

Morning came and I had a few unexpected tears as I awoke.  But I was fine.  I was fine all morning until I decided to go to the grocery store.  And then I found myself tearing up in the chip aisle!  I was fine all the rest of the day until I got to work...had another unexpected moment.  They were starting to surprise me because I thought I was doing fine. 

Friends and family have been awesome in the last few days...calling, texting, checking on me.  And I kept reassuring them I was fine.  My Christ Renews sister and dear friend, Liz, called and we decided she would come stay for the holiday weekend.  We got up and went to a few garage sales with Melody and then stopped for coffee.  At the coffee shop...more tears!  Liz said right there that we needed to come up with something every time I choked up...something to do instead of tears....yes!  let's skip!  And then later in a little shop...the lady said something to me that totally choked me up... Liz says, "Do we need to start skipping?"  Which brought me to tears and laughter.

Later that afternoon Liz and I went to the grocery for some holiday fare.  Fareway is loaded with flags in the windows in support of the soldiers.  In the first aisle is the Dr. Pepper display...and she looked at me and said, "Do we need to start skipping?"  And so right there...we skipped past that display and broke into crazy laughter much to the shock of my youngest son who wasn't sure he wanted to be seen with us. I kind of shocked myself with the ease at which I skipped!

As we walked into church on Sunday I asked Liz, "Would it be appropriate to start skipping here?"  And then after church in Old Navy I almost had to skip by myself after I saw the table where you could stop to write a letter to a soldier....Liz was farther into the store.  I had to find her and we broke into more crazy laughter thinking about skipping again.  We laughed our way through the store with more skipping comments. 

Skipping is working for me.  Will you know if they are tears of sadness or tears of laughter if you see me skipping in a public place? 

Well, at this point I would maybe post a picture.  I have an awesome one of Liz in Old Navy but I am under strict instruction that it is for my eyes only in case she's not with me and I need to skip with tears of laughter. Thanks Liz for skipping with me!

Love,
Monica

Isaiah 12:4 "...Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name; make known to the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted. "

Prayer Requests:
1) Praise for everyone who has supported the soldiers by buying a flag or buying Dr. Pepper products in your neighborhood grocery and convenience stores.  It was a huge blessing for them to receive the gift card and phone card.

2) Praise for the gift of technology and ease of communication.

3) Praise for the publicist catching our last goodbye hug and kiss.  This was a huge blessing to me when I discovered it later that day.

4) Praise for friends and family watching out for me and supporting our family.

2 comments:

  1. Monica - I love you dearly and consider myself supremely blessed to have the honor of skipping with you! I have learned so much from you, but most importantly, life is too short not to enjoy the beauty of everyday...and skipping will always produce the laughter needed to see it!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will skip with you any time, any where, whenever you may need it. Silliness is my specialty and I don't care who might see me being that way! LOL Life is so much more joyful when you ENJOY it...and sometimes, when it's hard, we have to be silly to remind ourselves of that.
    God bless Liz for giving your an outlet for your tears that feels better than crying. :)

    ReplyDelete