Friday, August 6, 2010

She wore a yellow ribbon

We arrived home from RAGBRAI Saturday night.  I was very blessed to be able to text with Eric all through the week and tell him what we were doing and even send him some pictures.  We saw some amazing things during the week including The Grotto and St. Francis Xavier's Bascilica.  Sunday morning we went to church and then had a few errands to do including a pedicure for my tired feet after all of that pedaling!  As I left the nail place and walked towards Victoria Secret, I received Eric's text that he was leaving within 15 minutes.  I kind of froze and wasn't sure what to do...step forward or run back....but I did have a free panty coupon and Eric did tell me to continue on with life while he was gone so...I decided there was nothing to do but run my last errand and then gather up the boys.  But emotions are a funny thing during deployment.  I stepped into the store where an associate quickly saw my coupon and whisked me to the area where I could pick something out.  And as she talked, I choked up and started to cry.  And here's how God works... she said, "Oh..I am deploying in a few weeks, too, and you need a hug".  And so right there I found myself being hugged by a stranger who understood.  And then we laughed and cried a little more while we rummaged through the drawers of panties. 
The evening continued with some texting and eventually Eric landed at his first destination.  He could not get a bed on the base and they found themselves in a hotel waiting.  And all day Monday he waited.  They finally took off again but to a second place for a 16 hour layover to have a repair done on the plane.  And as frustrating as that was for him to wait, we found ourselves with a valuable day of texting and even an afternoon skype session between just the two of us which I will cherish.  And then finally that night I received his last text.  He said he would call at his next destination if he could but unbelievably I slept through his phones calls.

I was assuming I wouldn't hear from him for quite awhile but by late afternoon Wednesday my phone was ringing off the hook telling me that Eric had posted he had a good connection and was looking for me.  And before you know it we were all sitting in front of my laptop skyping with him for just a few minutes.  I was also able to talk to him a couple of times including early this morning before he left again and before we left for Brady's sending ceremony. 

And then we left.  We were a parade of five cars.  Brady and Jayme, myself and Ayden, my mom and dad, Bren, Sarah, Laramy and Sarah, and Logan and Jenna managed to stay together as we drove to Ankeny High School.  I wish so much that Eric's travel didn't have to happen while we could have no contact during the ceremony but that was God's plan so we'll run with it. 

When they opened the curtains today and the crowd saw the horse and our cavalry...wow..what a response.  It is a moment I will never forget.  And to know that Eric was a part of the cav for so many years and now to carry on that tradition with Brady was a very cool moment for me.  I am not just a military wife and mother, I am a cav wife and mother.  I was reminded of a couple of  cav sayings when we attended Brady's family picnic on Monday.  "First in, last out" is one which I think truly speaks to how a cavalry soldier operates.  And so I came home and dusted off Eric's stetson.  And I look forward to Brady returning with his stetson. 

Most of you know that even though Eric can be a tough soldier he is one of the most tender men I have ever known.  He has a very strong faith, huge visions for things that most of us can't imagine, and a heart that cares and feels.  The night before his sending ceremony as we lay talking before sleep, he started singing "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" to me from John Wayne's cavalry movie.  Yep..that's my soldier.  That's why I can stand strong and support him and Brady. 

Prayer requests:
1) Safety, safe travels, and rest for both and all soldiers.
2) Praise for awesome friends and family who came out for Brady's ceremony.  Thank you so much.
3) Praise for all of the support we have been receiving especially my friends who have been calling and constantly checking on me.  I can't express how much I appreciate it.

John 14:27  Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Love,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment