Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mardi Gras/Ash Wednesday

I often hear everyone state how busy they are and how one day runs into another. There are certain things that come with raising families that just make us busy. There are other things that we choose that make us busy. When my boys were fairly young, I found myself scheduled to insanity with doctors, piano, soccer, Awana, etc. I only did the running craziness for a short time then because I realized it was taking away from our family. We drastically cut back and unscheduled everything. I remember thinking long and hard about it and feeling like I was stepping out of our busy culture. I think it was one of the best decisions I made at the time. I saved us a lot of money and gave us invaluable hanging-out, play time. In fact, we went so far as to not enroll our last two in preschool. Today I can't tell the difference between my boys that went to preschool and my boys that didn't. They did not turn out to be socially inept....for the most part. :)

What I do wish we spent more time doing is understanding and teaching our boys about days like Mardi Gras and Ash Wednesday. I never really knew that Mardi Gras was attached to Ash Wednesday in any religious way. I thought it was just a huge, incredibly sinful, excuse for a crazy party with lots and lots of beads. Okay..well, it is for some people. But I'd like to give you an opportunity to think about it in a different way.

I had often heard that Catholics use Mardi Gras as an excuse to be excessive. True in some cases, maybe in most cases. But Catholic or not, Mardi Gras does precede Ash Wednesday and could be and should be used in a very religious way. I know the history of Mardi Gras and that's not what I am concerned with. It has it's modern day flair now. How can we use it today in the 21st century?

Ash Wednesday is the beginning of Lent. Lent is a period of time for fasting and denial before Easter. It is a time to prepare for reflection and understanding even more about Christ's crucifixion. It is not a time to try and be good by giving something up and make up for all the stuff you didn't do through the year. It has deep spiritual significance if you choose it. And it is a part of the liturgical calendar which continuously follows the life of Christ to remind us why we are Christian. It gives us participation in our faith and our beliefs.

So I am choosing to be excessive today. We are going out to eat for lunch and dinner because I am giving up eating out for Lent. I love, love, love to eat out. I gave up eating out last year for Lent. I was unprepared for how difficult it was for me. It was a constant reminder that Christ gave up his life so that I might live eternally. It saved me money so I could do for others or for my children. And when I failed and forgot, I was miserable. Christ has never forgotten me. Being excessive today and abstaining will actually help me to understand Christ's sacrifice even more.

He gave His life for all. He gave everything he had. How can you show your faith in Christ and how much you love Him? Maybe you should give up something to make your life less busy?

What can you give up to deepen your faith this Lenten season?

Prayer Requests:
Thank you so much for your prayers! We have toilets that flush easily and an almost finished bathtub! Paperwork and planning is slow but started.
Please pray for us while we are in this holding pattern...waiting for deployment...it is very difficult in many ways.
Pray Eric has the stamina for his work and all the things he needs to accomplish for each family member.

Hebrews 13:15&16 Through him let us continually offer God a sacrifice of praise, that is, the fruit of lips that confess his name. Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have; God is pleased by sacrifices of that kind.

Love,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment