Monday, May 10, 2010

Counting down

We are down to the last couple of weeks.  It was recommended to keep everything very low-key during this time.  Unfortunately, we thought Eric would have more time while he was still local.  But that will not be the case.  So our time together before he leaves the state/country was significantly shortened. I am afraid we have a few too many things on the calendar.  However, this time of year is very difficult to keep to a minimum with all of the end of year concerts and graduation parties.  And this year we have one of our own!  But if we choose to not attend some events please understand.

We have been searching for the best option for us during Eric's 15 day furlough sometime next winter.  Any suggestions?  He won't be coming home because we feel that would be too stressful for all.  We are searching for some place warm and beachy.  :)  Australia was considered but the plane ticket for me was too pricey...well, Eric wanted me to fly first class...at the hefty price tag of $18,000!  But even with a coach ticket the price was $2000.  And then there's my passport, hotel, food, etc.  So we are currently still opting for Hawaii which was our first choice to begin with.  If anyone has any ideas, please direct them our way.

We had a great time with Eric's family last Saturday at the Dinges/Snyder get-together.  It was good for Eric to see many of his first cousins and relatives before he leaves.  I guess his cousin Bill King reported to Eric that his other cousin Todd Harmeyer said, "What the hell does he need to go there for to plant trees?  He can just come up and plant trees in my backyard and I'll take some pot shots at him.  I can't even hit the side of a barn..".  And for those of you who know both of those characters...you are laughing right now.

Thanks for everyone's prayers.  Everything is getting taken care of for the most part.  We have some small details left.  I know you will all keep praying.

And to answer the most asked question to date which is, "How are you going to do that?"...... I don't know for sure.  But I will be spending lots of time in prayer and lots of time on my knees.

Specific prayer request:
Please pray for us as we initially separate and then prepare for the sending ceremony.  It has been suggested that I just drive up and slow down long enough to kick him out of the car and then pretend he is going to work for the next 400 days.  But I know that I will find myself at the sending ceremony blubbering like an idiot.  And that is the moment that I am most concerned about for all of us.

Love,
Monica

1 comment:

  1. Monica, you are a strong woman. I don't know if I could handle Paul being gone that long. One week usually does me in. You will definitely be in our prayers. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete