Monday, May 17, 2010

Up until now

I haven't posted very much about Brady and his deployment.  It is something I have just had to kind of put out of my mind while Eric and I prepare.  But he returned last night from his drill weekend with dates and now it seems real.  Now it is time for me to help him prepare.

Brady will be home all of July and that means he'll be able to drive us for RAGBRAI!  I am very much looking forward to that time with him before he deploys.  I couldn't ask for a better replacement for Eric.  My military men will always take care of us.  And I look forward to the day when Brady rides with us, too!

When Eric enlisted, I did not really understand what being a military wife was all about.  But I did know that it was his lifelong dream and I would not stand in the way.  We married and about 8 weeks later we realized I was pregnant.  But I was still in denial about the military timeline because when Eric left for basic training, I was 7 months pregnant.  And I had a gut feeling that he would not make it back for the birth but I was hopeful.  It was an incredibly difficult time leaving him at the airport that day.  I bawled and bawled and bawled.  And just when I would get my self calmed down someone would call to see how I was doing and I would bawl again.  I managed through that time with the help of my parents.  My dad is a Korean War veteran and he left my mom a couple of weeks after they married.  And then I managed through the birth of my oldest son, Brady, with the help of my mom. At that time it seemed incredibly devastating that Eric missed his birth.  But looking at Brady today you can't tell his dad was not present at his birth.  And in retrospect, it has been one of the easier trials I have lived through. 

All of Brady's growing up, he witnessed his dad going to drill and annual training.  Everything about military from the uniforms to all the fun gadgets and hats are very intriguing to little boys.  And I realized early on that Brady admired his dad and both of his grandfathers very much for being soldiers.  I will admit that when Brady was diagnosed with what we thought was asthma I was relieved to think that he would never experience the military.  But what a mom wants for her children is often not what her children want for themselves.  And such was the case with Brady.  He mentioned it many times but I pushed it aside.  When Eric re-enlisted, Brady's drive became that much stronger.  And by the time Brady was talking about enlisting I knew this was a place where I would not stand in his way for my own selfish reasons.  From a mother's standpoint I wish to always keep my children safe but I also always wish for my children to reach their full potential in whatever they choose to do and not what I choose for them. 

I will never forget the day that Brady passed his physical and prepared to take his oath.  Eric and I waited and waited and waited for him to finish and sign. While waiting, I was secretly praying there was a maximum height cut-off and he would be too tall.  But they took him into a room by himself and said they would call us in a minute to witness his oath.  As I walked into the room he was standing at ease with his eyes facing straight ahead.  I wanted to run and rescue him.  I wanted to sweep him into my arms and make him feel safe.  Except I knew that was not what he wanted or needed.  He was a man now who wished to serve his country. 

So when people ask me how I will deal with my husband and my son deploying at the same time my answer is simple.  Vodka. 

I'M JUST KIDDING!

It is what they truly want to fulfill their dreams.  I would be incredibly ashamed if I ever stood in their way.  Will it be difficult?  Yes.  Difficult isn't even the word.  I don't know what word could possibly describe what I am about to go through which is why it is fun to make vodka jokes.  But while I am not anticipating this next year with  excitement, I also don't want to miss out on what it will be like when they do accomplish their dreams and return.  Wow...what a moment that will be!

We will take each day, hour, and moment one by one.  And I will pray for them because that will be the only absolute definite thing I will have over the next year.  And even after they return, I will continue to pray because that will still be the only absolute definite thing I will have for the rest of my life....my faith, my God, my Savior, and prayer.

Eric meeting his son, Brady, for the first time
and
Eric and Brady after his oath

Brady returning from basic and AIT and reporting first to his dad.  This is the same airport where Eric first met Brady when he returned from basic.  Amazing how life comes full circle at times.


Thank you for all of your prayers.  We are enjoying our time with Eric on leave and anticipating this first month apart.  Our 24th anniversary is coming up and we are hoping to see each other on that day.  Please pray he receives special permission for me to visit.

Phillipians 3:14   I continue my pursuit towards the goal, the prize of God's upward calling, in Christ Jesus.

love,
Monica

2 comments:

  1. This is so beautiful Monica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you realize how much stronger you make each of us reading your words.

    You are truly inspiring.

    Love
    Peter

    ReplyDelete