Monday, October 4, 2010

The Bucket Not List

I came back after a long weekend away to find a picture of Eric sitting down having a meal.  And, of course, I naturally looked over what was on the menu.  I spied a dish of beans and wondered how that went for him.  And I chuckled to myself quite a bit about the beans.  For those of you who know Eric well, you know why I chuckled.  For those of you who don't let's just say Eric doesn't eat beans....ever.  Lucky for me I was able to ask him about the beans this morning during our chat time.  It went something like this:

Me:  I saw the picture of you eating.

Him:  Oh, good.

Me:  How were the beans? (I am totally snickering and chuckling with this comment)

Him: Same as usual....

For a few short seconds I thought..he ate them?  he didn't eat them..  was he just being polite? and then I started to feel impressed that he was putting aside his extreme dislike and horror at the thought of one even touching his lips.. and then he finished his comment...

Him: ...still just laying there in the dish

Phew!  Now I know one doesn't spend a year away from home without changing.  But if he came home liking beans I was going to wonder if I got the same husband home.  And then he said....

Him:  had a bad run in with some mutton, too.  Those things need to be added to my bucket never to do again list. 

So I know that many people make their bucket lists of things to do, but there needs to be a bucket not list..just in case your memory fails and you forget you didn't try something or to remind yourself that you weren't going to do that anymore.  And maybe there needs to be a bucket over and over again list...things you can't get enough of like Mt. Rushmore.  It is something you could see time and time again and still be in wonderment and awe at it. And I know there are a few restaurants I could put on my not list and moments with friends on the over and over again list.  I know the older I get the more important all three of those lists have become to me.



Prayer Requests:
1) Brady is finishing some training this week.  We haven't had much contact with him.  Pray for him through each transition. 
2) Eric is well but feels daily stress.  Pray for him physically and mentally.
3) Praise for the continuous endless list of friends and acquaintances who ask how they are doing and how we are doing. 
4) Praise for my Christ Renews outreach sisters and for the wonderful weekend we had together.

Jeremiah 29:11  For I know well the plans I have in mind for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare, not for woe! plans to give you a future full of hope.  When you call me, when you go to pray to me, I will listen to you. 

love,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment