Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tears and Laughter

Tears come at unexpected times.  I haven't blogged for a couple of weeks.  When I signed in this morning, I checked the other blogs I follow.  One of them is written by a fellow soldier of Brady.  He has been on the same journey and has already arrived in Afghanistan.  As his pictures came up of his travel overseas, my tears started.  The feelings about a mother of a soldier and a wife of a soldier are completely different. 

As a mother there will always be a part of me that wants to just rescue my baby and bring him home.  And I know in life there will be those moments when you are there rescuing your children even in their adult lives..even if it is just to stand by their side.  Eric and I experienced that with our parents when our children were born particularly with Brenden and Laramy.  But I also know this is Brady's dream and he doesn't want me to rescue him but to just know that we are standing by his side.  So know this, son, we are here and we have your back in whatever we can do and especially as we kneel to pray.

As a wife I don't feel the need to rescue my husband but to honor him by doing the absolute best I can here at home.  And by doing my best, I am staying very busy.  The gardens are done.  The porch is painted.  The garage is sorted and tools put away.  I've emptied the pond and staked up the redbuds.  I've sorted his clothes and given many away (he's lost weight and I'm shopping to replace).  I'm painting and sorting and scrubbing and cleaning. 

And then there's work, friends, travel, family, bills, errands, boxes to ship, and Logan, Laramy, Ayden, Bren and Sarah.  Oh..and a wedding!  I am working on the guest list for Brady and Jayme's wedding and we have our niece's wedding coming up at Thanksgiving.

All these thoughts started with a couple of comments said to me this week.  I went to the Assessor's office with my DD 214 in hand to get a military reduction on our property taxes.  And as some of the paperwork was being done she said, "You have a son over there, too, right?  I don't know how you are doing it".  

Well, I do have my moments like the one I had this morning.  I had a huge moment a couple of weeks ago when the phone rang and I thought it was Brady calling after no communication for a time.  It was Brenden.  I hadn't talked to him in awhile either.  So we shared a good laugh at my confusion and tears.  Most of my moments come when looking at pictures or skyping with Eric.  People continue to ask about them and it truly touches my heart. 

So my reaction to all of this is the only choice I have.  I could stay home and worry and stress. Or I can stay busy and do my best.  And all of my friends are doing a great job of keeping me busy. 

So for the month of October, Lisa and Dawn win for the best job of keeping me busy with a quick trip to Vegas! And, yes, Eric loved that I went and was able to see Donny in concert which was a lifelong dream for me.



Fun and laughter most certainly help.  I can't wait for the guys to return so we can make some wonderful memories!
Check out Lee's blog if you wish  http://www.oef2011.blogspot.com/ !

Prayer requests:
1) safe travels for Brady
2) physical stamina for both of them
3) emotional strength for all of us esp. the boys here at home
4) praise for easy and often communication and Eric's laptop once again
5) praise and thanks for lots of awesome friends
6) praise for those who barely know us but ask and say we are in their prayers

1 Thessolonians 1 2&3 We always thank God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers. We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

God Bless,
Love,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment