Monday, April 25, 2011

Choices

The last few weeks have been very difficult emotionally and mentally with the news of three fallen Iowa soldiers and many more injured.  It was with a very heavy heart that I pulled our flag to half-mast yet again this morning.  This last soldier, James Justice, was a part of the 1-113th CAV which is Brady's troop.  And while I know their hearts are all heavy I also know that they will carry on in his honor in true cavalry spirit. 

While adjusting my flag, I was reminded that my life is full of choices.  The choice to be patriotic, informed, kind, honest, spiritual, happy, political, neighborly, genuine, in love...these are all mine to choose and I am so thankful for the freedom to do so.  They all aren't just feelings I have they require action from me.  I will admit  Eric has always taken care of our flags in every house we have lived.  The very first thing he did when we moved into this house was to hang his flag and spotlight it.  We were fortunate to move into a house with a pole in the ground, albeit on the wrong side of the sidewalk.  But I think I have always considered it his flag up until this last month.  I have changed the bulb in his light twice since he left and the whole time I was changing it I was thinking about how thankful I was to be taking care of his flag.  Except this morning I thought to myself...I am really thankful Eric made it so easy for me to raise and lower our flag so that I could honor these fallen heroes by lowering it..not just taking it down.  I thanked him during our chat time and I know he was thankful (but somewhat surprised) that I was making sure our flag was being flown appropriately.

I grew up next to my dad's parents; my paternal grandparents.  And I watched my grandfather put up and take down his flag every day.  I never thought much about it when I was a kid.  It was what he did and I took it for granted.  But I realize now he was making a choice to be patriotic on a daily basis. 

I often have people comment on how they don't know how I do it or that I am very strong to handle deployment.  Well, I can tell you that I am not always strong but I do it because I have the choice to do so.  I could get up every morning and whine and complain or I can dig my heels in and make the choice to do it.  I choose to do it because my family members chose to serve...not just my husband and son but my father, as well.  

Today all of our military personnel choose to serve so that we enjoy our freedoms... to celebrate Easter, to have a party, to ride in RAGBRAI, to spend the day hanging at the mall or with friends, to grill out, to garden, to sit on the couch and read a book.....anything.   SSG James Justice was one of those soldiers who chose to go on his fourth mission and serve his country so that I could choose to hang our flag everyday.  Please remember to keep our fallen soldiers families in your prayers as they go through these difficult times.

May God continue to protect our freedom for choices.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/etiquette.shtml

God Bless,
Love,
Monica

No comments:

Post a Comment