Thursday, April 14, 2011

Spring is springing

I am sitting here today, finally inspired to write after quite a dry spell, with tears and an anxious heart but also feeling the excitement of the season.

We are seeing signs of spring all around us which means the last season is upon us before my first soldier returns home.  The crocuses are no longer blooming while the golden forsythia and the magnolia trees are in full bloom.  And I'm anxiously waiting for the red buds to burst open with their beautiful color and the crab apples to lend their various shades to this time of year.  I wouldn't know these things or probably be as passionate about them except that my husband taught me to be that way. I am so happy this last season has arrived and I am so sad he is not here to share it with me.  Brady shares equally in his dad's passion and I will miss his hard labor in the yard this spring, too.

One of Eric's and my favorite spring activities is visiting all the garden centers and picking out our annuals and choosing a few new perennials to add to our collection.  I am very thankful for Melody who shares the same passion and enjoys this activity, as well.  Melody and I (in lieu of any good garage sales to attend) made our first trek to Groth's Gardens last Saturday to check things out.  And while there, I was faced with the realization that if I am to have annuals this year I will have to actually get dirty!  I love picking the plants and the wonderful colors.  Eric loves mixing the soil and digging them in...I will miss him and Brady playing in the dirt this spring.  But I will buy gloves so when they return the yard will sport some beautiful colors.

While we are here enjoying the emergence of warmer days and all the things higher temps bring, our soldiers (from what I understand) are experiencing increased enemy activity with warmer temps.  I know this brings anxiety with the anticipation of gearing down as many of our soldiers are preparing to return home. And yet they all need to stay as alert and aware as ever because their journey is not over.

We have evidence this week of this activity with the loss of two Iowa soldiers. As time has passed and tour ends draw closer, it has been easier to feel slightly more relaxed at times for me.  I have had people comment on how close their homecomings are and we all breathe a sigh of relief together.  But all of our soldiers still need our prayers.  We need to persevere and stand aware until they all return home. 

So while you work in the yard or enjoy a spring soccer game, remember all of our soldiers as they anxiously anticipate the end of their tours.  And say an extra prayer for the families who have lost their soldiers this week.



God Bless,
love,
Monica

1 comment:

  1. Praying that Eric and all of our soldiers come back to our gardens. Getting garden dirty is good for the soul. Nice read Monica.

    ReplyDelete