Saturday, January 23, 2010

Toasty Woes

One of my common complaints in the winter is I am always cold. Sometimes so cold I can't warm up. Our new-to-us house was built in the 1920's and can be a drafty at times. We also have hardwood floors everywhere. So I bundle up and put my slippers on and do my best.

Eric has been busy making lists and thinking of things that would help me out while he is gone. He proudly sent me a text saying he had a surprise for me. When I climbed into bed that night it was toasty warm..unusually warm. I thought for a moment he had laid on my side for a bit and warmed it up. But then he grinned and asked me how I liked my toasty warm bed. He had put a heated mattress pad on just my side of the bed. How sweet is that? And now if I am cold I have a perfect place to go!

Well, this weather has been crazy and we've had some pretty cold temps this winter. So another night I came home and Eric had placed our space heater in our room. It was wonderfully toasty warm in the room. And then I climbed into my toasty warm bed and all was good.

Now I'm really excited about my nest that Eric has created for me. He also got our wireless router hooked up which allows me to take my laptop to my toasty warm nest. Life is good!

And then I got a cold. My Sjogren's Syndrome and colds don't get along too well when it comes to sleeping. I'm already really dried out during the night from no blinking and little swallowing. And now a cold. So my throat is sore and I'm coughing and snoring. It is a miserable sight. And I love my toasty room but at night we have to cool it down so I don't dry out too much. And then we decide it is time for the humidifier.

Eric was gone one evening a couple of weeks ago. So I went upstairs and turned on my space heater and my mattress pad and climbed into bed with my laptop. I decided I better run the humidifier and climbed back into bed. All was well...for a few minutes. And then the fuse blew. So now I'm in the dark with my laptop. I sat for a minute and then said to myself, "Well, I better get used to handling these things alone." In the meantime, Laramy had bolted out of his room wondering what had happened. And so the two of us proceeded to the basement to fix the fuse.

We were unsuccessful. And Laramy was pretty stressed because he wanted to finish his laundry. But after I sat in the dark for awhile I realized it was only my room and his room that was out. I guess he realized it too because without a word he switched his laundry around. And I smiled.

So Eric returned and fixed the fuse. And I learned that sometimes you have to just wait a bit and then flip the switch and it will come back on. And I also learned that I can't be too toasty in my room or I will blow a fuse. I'm pretty sure I will learn many, many things in the coming year.

Happy Saturday!
Love,
Monica

Isaiah 26:4 Trust in the Lord forever! For the Lord is an eternal Rock.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I am sooooooo with you about being cold all the time.
    OOff I hate it and DH laughs about it :(

    ReplyDelete