Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Work, eat, sleep, play, struggle, never give up and live for the downhill!

The Catalpa trees were in full bloom yesterday. The smell was intoxicating while I worked my daily miles on my bike.  Every time I rode past and smelled the sweet smell, I was reminded I only know what a Catalpa tree is because of my husband.  He has such a love and excitement for trees that I have never seen in another person.  I have teased him often.  But yesterday I just felt a love and warmth for him and a thankfulness for the knowledge I have gained just from knowing him.  A hike in the woods, a drive, or a simple walk down the street with Eric and his love for trees and nature becomes incredibly evident.  He sees things that most of us would simply pass by.  If you ever get a chance for a hike in the woods with him, take it.  I know I will never pass another opportunity as I have done in the past.

Eric and I celebrated our 24th anniversary yesterday, June 7th.  We were fortunate to be able to spend a couple of hours together on Sunday evening.  He is well.  He is soldiering hard.  It was very difficult leaving him once again.  One of my friends urged me to take every opportunity I have to see him.  So even though it was difficult, I am glad I went.  I honestly can't believe 24 years have passed until I start thinking about everything we have been through in this life; good and bad. 

When I am on my bike, I spend a lot of time thinking, praying, talking to myself, or talking to the trees and animals.  I have always loved biking.  I didn't really start riding seriously until I was 40.  And I completed my first RAGBRAI (lifelong dream) at 42.  And this year as I prepare once again, I am faced with many physical challenges.  Can I do it?  I don't  know.  But I am choosing to walk, or ride, this path.

 My bike has taught me many things about life.  I have heard, more than I've ever heard in my life, people say, "I couldn't do it. I couldn't ride my bike two miles let alone across the state".  I chose to take up biking.  I don't always choose my paths in life.  I choose the paths I want.  I don't ever choose stressful paths, do I?  Or do I?  I hear the same words from people whether I am talking about RAGBRAI or deployment.  I can't, I couldn't, I don't want to, not me, I don't know how you can do it....but don't we just have to walk paths that we choose and those that we didn't ask for in the same way?

My current challenge with Eric deploying is no different than riding my bike across the state of Iowa.  He loves being a soldier.  I love riding my bike.  If he always sat on the bench, would his love of the military be fulfilled?  If I never challenged myself to a difficult uphill, what would I gain? 

Everyone has choices and challenges in life.  I choose my faith and my God to get me through each one, even on my bike.  I look just ahead of my front tire on a long uphill journey, praying the whole way, and before I know it I have reached the top.  And then I receive the prize of a wonderful downhill ride!  At the end of this year-long uphill climb my prize will be a wonderful hike in the woods.

Prayer requests:
1) Eric is facing many physical demands and he reports to me that he hasn't been this physically active and worked so hard in years.  Pray he has stamina and no injuries.
2) Lawn mower.... um..our lawn mower and my new car didn't get along so well..my car is fine and the lawn mower is totalled.  Parties involved shall remain nameless because they are gone and can't defend themselves.  :)  Pray I find the right mower to purchase in a timely fashion so we don't have to bring in a baler.
3) As always, safety for all military members and safe returns to their families.
4) Please pray for a dear friend, Terri, who received news that the tumor she had removed was cancerous
5) Praise for a new friend, Jessica, who's husband is also deploying. 

love,
Monica

1 comment:

  1. Another beautiful post Monica. You inspire me! Lots of love and God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete