Monday, December 27, 2010

Angels and baking soda

I am finally to the point this evening where I am able to write about last night.  I debated writing about it at all but I decided it could be a huge reminder and learning moment for all of my family and friends. 

Eric has always told me I have a very intense gut instinct.  We haven't always followed it but we have learned to follow it.  For the last couple of months I have been having fire moments.  I don't know what else to call them.  Ayden and I worked with his window and fire escape ladder a couple of months ago.  I had checked smoke alarms in September.  Ayden has been busy watching Mythbusters which prompted me to place a very large opened box of baking soda under the sink. And I've been having funny candle moments where I just decided to blow them out in the house, including the one we have kept lit for Eric and Brady in a very safe location.  Christmas morning Ayden had lit a candle for mood lighting, I guess, and Logan had set something too close which really frightened me.  But still all was well.

Brenden and Sarah came for Christmas day and stayed over to Sunday.  After they left in the late afternoon we all relaxed and I fell promptly asleep.  Logan went to work and Laramy went to a white elephant party.  I woke up and watched a movie.  When Logan came home around 10:15, he was hungry so he lit the oven for bacon.  And at 10:30ish Ayden headed to bed but a short time later came down for a drink and stopped in my room.  He asked me if I smelled 'that'.  And within just a minute he was yelling fire.  I ran downstairs to the kitchen to find Logan with the fire extinguisher and flames shooting out of the stove to the ceiling and thick choking smoke filling the room.  I can only tell you that what happened in the next few seconds was guided by God.

I flew around the island and grabbed the box of baking soda from the already open cupboard and proceeded to fling it with apparent perfect aim at the fire.  It dropped down immediately and I aimed twice more and then blew with all my might at the remaining small fire.  Laramy and Ayden had gathered the dogs and were on the deck and Logan shot it with one last shot with the fire extinguisher.  I grabbed my land line and called 911.  We had gotten the fire out but the house was full of toxic smoke.  And within a few minutes three of our local firemen were standing in my kitchen and taking charge.  I had also called Melody out of complete fear and panic and she came running over too. 

We are fine.  No one was injured.  I only lost my range.  The front melted right in front of my eyes.  There was no structural damage to the kitchen just a lot of soot clean up to do.  Had I not had the baking soda or my land line things would have been completely different. 

So here are some things to think about.  Everyone is getting rid of their land lines and I have considered it. But when I took off running I left my cell on my bed.  If I hadn't had the soda and no land line, I would have had no way to call.  And as fast as it went up and if I had to run to my neighbors or back upstairs I would have lost the kitchen if not more. 

Many of you keep soda by your stove.  If my soda would have been there, I wouldn't have been able to get to it.  And this was a grease fire.  By the grace of God, the firemen said I couldn't have done a more perfect job...I did not plan for this in anyway..it all just happened this way.  God has perfect timing and, apparently, aim.

So I ask all of you to please check your fire extinguisher location.  Go out and buy one or two boxes of large baking soda for under the sink or at least away from your stove.  Double check your smoke detectors.  The one I have by the kitchen did not go off and should have.  It had a new battery.  It just didn't work anymore.  Your test button tests the battery function..not the function of your smoke detector.  If you teach your children to cook, teach them how to put out a fire.  I was very proud of Logan getting the fire extinguisher to work. Then sit down with your family and make sure they know a plan and where the extinguisher and soda are located. Reconsider a land line.  When I called, she knew my location. 

I am so thankful for God's protection and his angels around me and the boys.  He guided Ayden to the kitchen at just the right moment.  I am also so thankful to the firemen who arrived, checked us all out, and cleared out our house of smoke.  And also to my two neighbors who have been helping me out so much, Rich and Myron, by unhooking my burned up stove and replacing my smoke detector.  They have been so helpful and kind to our family in many ways since Eric left.

Psalm 91:11 For He will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.

God Bless,
Love,
Monica

1)Praise for our safety and no real damage.
2)Praise and thanks for homeowners insurance even with a deductible.
3)Pray I find the right stove in my price range.
4)Praise for Eric and Brady's Christmas time together and safe travels for Eric.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Monica, what a harrowing experience for you all, thankfully no one was hurt and you are all safe and sound. Thank you for deciding to write about this after all, you may be saving someone else's lives, too. God bless you all, hope you have a more uneventful and safe New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baking soda is now going on the shopping list... and I'm also prompted to reorganize under my sink so it will have an easy to access location. So thankful the outcome of your fire wasn't devastating.... stoves can be replaced and kitchens repainted. May angels continue to keep watch over your home and family!

    ReplyDelete